Episode 7: Behavior and Little Wins with Mike Lenz
Download This Episode
Bio: Mike is a life long Chicagoan and cofounder of Tip Yourself. He believes positivity and small shifts in habit can be life changing. #TipYourself #YouEarnedit
“One of the main inspirations behind Tip Yourself is our belief that money is more than just dollars and cents. The true challenges with personal finance are much more about emotions and habits than they are about spreadsheets, numbers and graphs. “ – Mike Lenz
Mike and I discuss the importance of personal behaviour, and ways to increase optimism, feel good, and tackling keystone habits and little milestones to enjoy life and be happy now in your finances.
- Mike’s Technology and Behavioral Psychology Background
- How large the issue of Personal Finance Is and some Stats
- Birth of Tip Yourself – Money Mindset and Emotion
- The Role of Recognizing Success
- 5:35 Changing the Negative Mindset of “Savings”
- 7:15 How Tip Yourself Changes Mindsets
- 8:43 How Real People Use TipYourself
- 10:00 TipYourself “The Daily dose of ‘Feel Good’” – The Community
- 11:25 Turning Away Daily Negativity through tipping yourself
- 12:05 Its Easier To Act When You Recognize Things Aren’t Easy
- 13:30 Huge Goals: Little Milestones
- 14:55 College Kids Application
- 16:25 Keystone Habits
- 18:05 Everything is Small
- 18:45 Happiness in the moment
- 20:10 Guilt Free Tips : #YouEarnedIt
- 21:30 Not Always About Money, Changing Behavior with Tips
“I’ve never met anyone who struggles to save money because they haven’t found the right spreadsheet yet” – Mike Lenz
“Life is Lived in Little Moments” – Mike Lenz
- Get a Tip Yourself account and tip yourself 5 times! (for good reasons of course!)
- Next Time You Get Down – Recognize That What You Want to Do Is Hard. It helps
- Find 5 positive moments of success this week and give yourself a reward for recognizing them
- Develop a list of your Keystone Habits (16:25), find one thing to add
- Take the High Energy Moment of right now and make 1 positive change you’ve been telling yourself to do for a while
Contacts and Links from the Show
TipYourself.com – Iphone , Android soon!
[email protected] – Questions, Habits, How it works, How you use Tip Yourself
Episode #6: On Doing What’s Best For You – with BurkeDoes
Download This Episode
About my guest: Emilie is the brains behind Burke Does, inspiring millennial women to live financially, physically, and professionally fit lives. She writes about overcoming debt while balancing trying to eat healthy, stay fit, and have a little fun along the way.
Description: Emilie – BurkeDoes.com and Jacob – FinancialGinger.com talk about the overlapping areas of our lives, the power of self-improvement, and focusing on our person goals and values to create power in acting to take control of our lives both in a financial sense, and an achieve your dreams sense.
Thanks Emilie for being on the show! It was wonderful to have you!
- Finance isn’t just Finance, it influences every part of our life.
- The Crossfit Open – the practicality of overlapping fitness, finance, and work life.
- Life Doesn’t Fit Into Different Silos, It Blends Together
- The Power of Reading in Self-Development
- Overlapping Our Effort – Overall Wellness
- Key to Achieving: Effort and Personal Values
- Changing Values and Goals Over Time – Ecclesiastes 3:1 (this was running through my mind the entire episode)
- Paycheck Woes – Problems That Could Be Avoided
- Actively Working Towards Our Goals – MyToDoLists.me
- Goals Forgotten Aren’t Important (Or Else You Would Have Remembered)
- What You Value, You Are Already Spending Time and Money On
- Why We Identify Our Values
- What Your Spending Says About You
- Consider your life goals and write them down
- Identify your values.
- Figure out some actions you can take towards your goals
- Develop a method of tracking progress of goals
- Take time each period (weekly, or monthly, or quarterly) to review goals and adjust accordingly (less ye forgot)
- With your current goals and values, consider do they align? Do your goals match your values
- Does your spending match and correlate with your values and goals?
- Set a recurring calendar appointment with yourself (weekly, monthly, or quarterly) to review your goals, values, and spending habits, to ensure they align and to set new goals.
Emilie’s Crossfit experience
CultivateWhatMatters – Power Sheets ( examples of her sheets available on her store)
Mitsubishi Mirage (Best Car Ever)
Grit – Angela Duckworth
Emilie’s To Do Lists – mytodolists.me – See what Emilie’s goals are each week
Facebook – facebook.com/burkedoes Twitter – twitter.com/burkedoes Instagram – instagram.com/burkedoes Pinterest – pinterest.com/burkedoes