Episode #8: BigRocks & Making Money Personal with Desirae Odjick of Half Banked
Bio: This one time, Desirae Odjick decided to try saving half of her income on whim, and decided to write about it on the internet – because why not, right? That’s how her blog, Half Banked, got started, and these days she focuses more on helping other millennials achieve the financial goals that really matter to them (without giving up lattes, obviously). She’s the creator of the Quick Budget Fix, a freelance writer, and a certifiable crazy dog lady.Your Mom Was Probably Right @Half_Banked Click To Tweet
Show Description: Desirae and I discuss Big Rocks, and other prioritization concerns with money, and other important mind games with money that are essential for millennials to know. We then translate the big rocks into actual skills we can utilize to be awesome with money!
- 1:07- Budget: there’s a better word
- 1:45 – Big Rocks: The Key of a Natural Budget
- 2:45 – Time Budgets: Taking out the Big Rocks
- 3:25 – Our Roles: Identifying our Big Rocks
- 4:20 – Living the Good Life : The purpose of our Roles
- 5:00 – connecting our Money to our Roles
Make It Personal
- 6:10 – Investing in ourselves
- 6:50 – The Power of Books : Role in Role Improvement
- 8:50 – How Desirae works with people
- 9:20 – Desirae’s free budgeting course
- 10:00 – Cash Flow: more than investing and accounting
- 11:10 – Commitments role in controlling time
- 12:55 – Accountability partners
- 13:15 – Dollars should Vote for your dreams
- 13:30 – Using money Intentionally
Getting to the Goals
- 14:00 – Desirae shares how she set the goal to save 50%, and started halfbanked
- 14:30 – finding creative ways to reach financial goals
- 15:15 – Books: Just implement one idea, power (article below)
- 16:00 – The Psychological impact of reaching and setting goals
- 17:22 – When you “Fail” : Conscientious Goals
- 18:50 – Priorities: putting goals in perspective
- 20:25 – The most fluid part of Desirae’s budget goals : Not what you’d expect
- 22:00 – How FinancialGinger was born
- 23:35 – 2 ways to fix the budget -IWT
- 24:45 – Desirae shares skills she’s developed to make her money
- 26:00 – RPF – Entrepreneurial mindset podcast (Link below)
- 27:15 – Desirae’s Resource Library (Link)
- 27:45 – Basic calculator: What’s too much to spend on housing, food, etc
- 29:45 – You Mom Was Probably Right – Money Maxim
Money MaximYour Mom Was Probably Right @Half_Banked Click To Tweet
- Take time to identify your Roles by Spiritual, Mental/Educational, Physical, Social Relationships. What are the Big Rocks to do in these roles each week?
- Identify Monetary costs associated with your Roles
- Consider where money is going that may not align with your Roles, Needs, or most important wants
- Consider a role commitment you need and share it with your social media tag @FinancialGinger and @Half_Banked! – We can follow up with you!
- Get an Accountability partner for one goal you have. Help them with one goal they have! You’re 70% more likely to work on and achieve (a realistic goal) with an accountability partner.
- What is a skill you have that people would be willing to pay for? Consider implementing or starting that business you’ve been thinking about.
- When you “fail” your next goal – consider why you failed it, maybe the reason was good.
Contacts and Links from the Show
Connect with DesiraeIf you made and extra $100 a month, you wouldn’t have to cut out $100 @Ramit Click To Tweet