Episode #5: HighFivingDollars with Sarah Li Cain
I had the wonderful opportunity to talk with Sarah Li Cain from HighFivingDollars.com
I love how she explains herself as a “Money Storyteller”. Storytelling runs in my blood with my mother starting the Utah Liars Contest 10 years ago, and me spending a lot of time volunteering for the Utah Timpanogas Storytelling Festival.
Hear Sarah’s story about break ups and $9000 debt, and learn some ways to be happy with your finances while working on improving your situation. Eventually, Sarah even paid for a car in cash!
- Sarah’s holistic approach to talking about money
- Sarah’s adventure to Australia, which yielded a lot of money education including a pretty messy break up.
- Dealing with self-shame about debt (and life!) in a positive way
- Rebuilding Financial Independence after a rough patch
- How relationships that are bad aren’t solved by money
- How emotions affect our finances: Ego
- How shame and guilt about bad money choices can be positive
- About Sarah’s book “The Authentic Budget” – using your personality and values to manage your money your way.
- A Personal Visions’ role in controlling your finances
- Why should I budget?
- Banishing Financial ‘Frenemies’: It’s as simple as saying “No”
- The role of boundaries and setting expectations with others about your money
- Money is neutral. It’s what we do with it that matters.
- Read The Art of Happiness by the Dalhi Lama
- Read Sarah’s new book “The Authentic Budget” – (I have it and read ½ of it already. It’s SOOO GOOD)
- Write a vision statement to what your money is for, print it out and read it frequently
- Find a blog you like about finances (cough FinancialGinger and HighFivingDollars) and read something to improve your IQ each month! Add it to your calendar with an alarm.
Links and Contact info from the show
Get on Sarah’s VIP list for info about her books and new ones that come out!