? Definition and Types: This term, Virtual Private Networks, explains what it means. First, Virtual means that there is no real direct network connection between the two communication partners, just a virtual connection. Second, Private means only the members of the company connected. According to Feilner, “VPN can be described as a set of logical connections secured by special software that establishes privacy by safeguarding the connection endpoints” (28). Anyway, VPN creates an encrypted connection, it calls tunnel, and all Internet traffic and communication is passed through this tunnel to keep the user data secure and private. Typing of VPN protocols:
1. Internet Protocol Security (IPsec): Is used to secure Internet communication across an IP network to authenticate the session and encrypts each data packet during the connection. IPsec has two modes, Transport mode, and Tunneling mode.
2. Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP): creates a tunnel between two L2TP connection points and IPsec protocol encrypts the data and handles secure communication between the tunnels.
3. Point to Point-Tunneling Protocol (PPTP): creates a tunnel and encapsulates the data packet. It uses a Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) to encrypt the data between the connections.
4. Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS): create a VPN connection where the web browser acts, as the client and user access are restricted to specific applications instead of the entire network. According to Feilner, “SSL was also known as TLS, is a protocol originally designed by Netscape Communications Corporation to ensure easy-to-use data integrity and authenticity for the fast growing Internet in the 1990s” (49).
5. Open VPN: is an open source VPN that is useful for creating Point-to-Point and Site-to-Site connections. It uses a custom security protocol based on SSL and TLS protocol.
6. Secure Shell (SSH): creates the VPN tunnel through which the data transfer happens and ensures that the tunnel is encrypted.
? Hardware / Software VPNs: When we speak about Hardware VPN, it means The VPN build in Hardware Device while the Software VPN means application or software install on Computer and do not need to any hardware devices. Wherefore, when we dedicated hardware VPN appliances is generally more expensive compare the Software VPN. In addition, the security in Hardware VPN is very strong compare VPN Software. Software-based VPN often is forced to share a server with other applications and operating systems, which makes them more prone to attacks and less secure. Easy to make an upgrade for Software VPN by replacing an onboard processor or adding memory to the system but in hardware, VPN is limited depending on the selected model. Finally, the performance with Hardware VPN is very highest compare Software VPN.
? Benefits of using a VPN
1. Helps to establish a secure remote access connection across an intermediary network.
2. Reduces equipment costs.
3. Improves security between the connections.
4. Fully scalable global infrastructure and architecture.
5. Unlimited geographic connectivity.
There are countless the best practices for the network security that should consider making your network and data more security threats. Threats are constantly appearing in the time. Moreover, cybercriminals are becoming more effective at breaching security measures and successfully stealing protected information. Therefore, we spoke in this paper about the best practices for network security, with the goal of securing the network from all harm by Increase awareness and training of Network Security. Protection of information systems from theft or damages the information on hardware, software, and Storage. Make a sure backup for all Data in the network to restore it in case of data loss. Finally, install a firewall to help control access only the people who have access permissions and prevent any traffic and hacking in the network.